Fear and Loathing with Bill and Tom in NYC - Part 1



(Video narrated by Professor Ennui Pidawee.)

In the winter of 1974 (or 1975) Bill and I took a train trip to New York. My purpose was to look for ways to parlay my Cardinal experience into consulting opportunities. I set up meetings with Xerox Learning Systems and the media division of Random House. Bill's purpose, I suppose, was whatever adventure might transpire - that and keeping me company.

On the surface the trip didn't go too badly. Although no work resulted, I was well received in both places. However, beneath the surface, the trip was a freak show. Influenced by the writings of Hunter Thompson and Carlos Castenada, and my own fear and loathing, I suffered ongoing out-of-body experiences and recurrent paranoia.

Many of us from Cardinal, even though we occasionally pursued grandeur, were never (in the words of the Immortal Bard) shaped for sportive tricks.

This video, featuring sketches created by Bill and me, recounts the Trip and Impressions of New York. Part 2 will deal with Business and Coming Back.

(This piece first appeared on possumgolightly.com.)

No comments:

Post a Comment