Jones' Beer & Hemingway Comics

I can't say for sure what prompted Jones to draw these.

He used to talk the "Are you for the Bridge?" talk on many occasions. He would often come into Cardinal's slide-sorting room and go into the act.

The work may be inspired by a drawing Tom W did, showing a bent figure saying "My name is Anselmo and I come from Barco de Avila- Let me help you with that pack."

Jones always portrayed Tom W in some sort of paramilitary or safari-stye shirts with epaulets. I don't know why he chose me to be Roberto in these drawings.

The guns are labeled in detail as to manufacturer and origin.

Jones borrowed my copy of "For Whom the Bell Tolls." Usually he returned books. Like my copy of Jim Bouton's "Ball Four" (which he greatly enjoyed and went on a baseball kick for a while, going around saying "Hey Babe" to everybody).

I looked for my copy of FWTBT the night I helped him transport his few earthly possessions from Cardinal's basement to a rented room at the Normandy downtown. I never found it.


No comments:

Post a Comment