Beer Joints & Haunts #3

The Boulevard Sundries on East Blvd. showed up in my old box of Cardinal pictures. I must have taken the shot when me and Jones were on a gump, driving through Dilworth.

It seemed Jones had a beer hangout in every sector of town. Barkeeps knew him and would automatically bring out a can of Schlitz.

As I recall, Boulevard Sundries was sparse and empty and beat to hell inside. There was a big counter that looked more like a food counter than a tavern bar. The heat worked pretty good though, and on a rainy winter day the place was cozy enough. Jones was hungry and scarfed down some sort of impossibly lame looking sandwich.

I went back to the location several years later, and it had been gentrified into a fine little cafe with fine old grinders and fine little micro-brews served by with-it people. Or maybe I dreamed that. Whenever I went beer-drinking in Dilworth, it was usually at the White Horse, a nice but slightly snobby white collar place with even more expensive grinders, conveniently close to Wm Wilkerson's fine old house of restoration and unabashed trendiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment